My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, no question! It always was and probably always will be. I’m not sure why but I think there is something really satisfying in having your first meal of the day. It’s almost like a new start (maybe even a new start to make healthier food choices?). Anyway, to make breakfast a little bit more exciting than the usual oats or smoothies, I like to treat myself here and there, especially on the weekends with some pancakes or waffles. And even though today is Thursday, I really craved pancakes this morning and thought I would share my super easy pancakes recipe with you. The last time I shared my pancakes recipe was in my eBook and there I used aquafaba (chickpeas water) to replace the egg. But since then, I found a new and faster method to substitute the egg. It is… baking powder & apple cider vinegar! Literally, so easy and something I think everyone has in their pantry.
The mashed banana in this recipe is not necessary, but I thought it would be nice to get some extra fruit out of this dish. And as you could probably read in the title, I also added some vegan protein powder, which means they’re also a great post workout meal and also an amazing dish for pregnant women (like myself hehe) who want to get some extra protein in. Our favorite protein powder at the moment is Garden of Life one, in vanilla flavor. And as for the flour, you can easily switch out the spelt flour for oat flour or all purpose flour, or you can also combine the spelt flour with oat flour. Those two work well together. 🙂
And now, I hope you will enjoy your pancakes!
Vegan Protein Pancakes
Makes 6-7 Pancakes
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 – 1 cup oat milk or plant milk of choice
- 3/4 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
For Greasing the Skillet:
- Coconut oil spray or vegan butter
- 1/4 banana, sliced
- Berries of choice
- Maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, protein powder and sea salt together. Whisk until well combined.
- Mash the banana in a separate bowl and mix together with all the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a batter forms. It doesn’t need to be perfectly smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips if you re using any. To make the batter thinner, add in another tablespoon of plant milk. Do not overmix.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Then spray with coconut oil or spread with vegan butter and coat evenly.
Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet to form pancake circles. I usually cook three at a time.
- When the pancake starts looking dry along the sides with little bubbles on top, then flip it over until browned on the other side. If you find that pancakes are browning too quickly then you need to lower the heat a bit.
- Repeat with more oil and remaining batter. Makes 6-7 pancakes total.
- Serve pancakes with the remaining sliced banana, berries and maple syrup for drizzling.